Friday, August 5, 2011

St. Joe or Bust

Alright, I finally made it up to Chiefs training camp. I was able to make it up there on Thursday; nice and overcast day, although still through-the-roof humid. And although I was only able to stay for the morning walkthrough, I picked up on some valuable stuff.


  1.  Haley will be calling the plays. No, I didn't get an interview with the guy (although I did get to ask him a question about Steve Breaston after the walkthrough was concluded), but just watching training camp, it is evident that Haley is fully in charge of calling the plays. Bill Muir was out there, supervising the offense, but it appeared that he was just along for the ride. Haley was calling the shots, and I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that.
  2. Jim Zorn can't catch. As good of a QB he once was, and as good of a QB's coach he now is, the man can't catch. When going through throwing drills with the three quarterbacks, Zorn was dropping more balls thrown his direction than the 2009 Dwayne Bowe. It's not that this information has to deal very much with the team, I just found it sort of humorous. 
  3. Jim Zorn is good at his job. Cassel, Palko, and Stanzi all seemed concentrated on what Zorn had to say. He was making them do throwing drills I'd never seen before (one I heard he did with the afternoon session was having the non-throwing QB's chuck big balls at the throwing QB to simulate a pass rush). 
  4. The number two QB job is up for grabs. There seems to be no clear difference between Palko and Stanzi right now. Both are decent, but both made their mistakes. If Stanzi is the future, like so many believe he is, than I wouldn't have a problem with making him Cassel's primary backup going into the season. Oh, and one more thing: 'Merica!
  5. Jon Baldwin was noticeably limping. That's right folks, our first round draft pick was at times hobbling after running routes and appeared to be wearing a brace of some sorts on one of his legs. Now, since he continued to practice, albeit, at a slower pace, I'm going to guess it's nothing serious. At least, that's what I hope since the kid can catch.
  6. The most important thing I learned at camp was that we have some classy people on our team. After ending the walkthrough, the players began marching up to the facilities for lunch and meetings; they did not stop for autographs. Kids began chasing after them, yelling for signatures, but to no avail. I had begun to follow the children (which is what anyone should do who wants autographs) but realized it would do me no good. When I returned to where I was sitting on the hill behind the endzone of the training field, I saw that Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel were signing autographs for the fans left. They were also explaining that they had told the players not to stop because they were running late and had to get into meetings. So I got their signatures and even got my picture taken with Haley (and no, although I wanted to, I decided not to reenact the Handshakegate between Haley and Josh McDaniels, though I was tempted). After getting their signatures, I began to leave the camp and saw that Eric Berry had come back down the hill from the facility to sign all the children's souvenirs. Berry is a class act, and even if he was a crappy player, I would be a fan of his after seeing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment