Monday, March 19, 2012

Manning Goes to Denver



The AFC West just got a whole lot more difficult for the Chiefs in 2012 with the news that Peyton Manning has informed his agent to get a deal done with the Denver Broncos. This was the worst case scenario for the Chiefs as far as the Manning sweepstakes were concerned: not only did the Chiefs not even get a visit with the future Hall of Famer, but he is now a division opponent on a team that won 8 games in 2011 with Tim Tebow (who is now reportedly on the trading block).

I've seen a lot of anti-Manning rhetoric on Twitter today by Chiefs fans, feeling scorned by Manning. And while those hurt feelings are fair, I do not share their feelings. I am not bitter at Manning, I am not mad at Manning. I'm not going to scream profanities at the top of my lungs because Manning made a decision. I respect Manning's decision (although I am confused as to why he didn't consider the Chiefs), and I respect Manning as a player. But the biggest reason I am not saying that Manning won't make a difference with the Broncos is because I don't believe. I can't just think that Peyton would have been a Super Bowl difference for the Chiefs and not make a significant impact on the team that won the AFC West last season.

The Chiefs have had a great offseason so far; they've added a solid tight end, a fantastic right tackle, and replaced Brandon Carr as well as they could. And while Chiefs fans might be satisfied with the Chiefs free agent acquisitions so far, the Broncos just added one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. I give the Broncos the edge in that department.

And it's not just Manning's credentials that are a concern, but his success against the AFC West. He has a .679 winning percentage, a 84.5 passer rating, and has four post season wins against AFC West teams. Two of those wins come against the Chiefs. So not only does Manning almost guarantee at least 10 wins a season, but he comes to the Broncos with a history of success against his new division opponents.

I would never admit that I am scared of just one player. But I will admit that I am very concerned about the Denver Broncos for about the next three seasons. The Chiefs are a good, young team, and they have the pieces to be good for quite some time. Manning didn't do them any favors, however, by joining another good, young team. Not to mention that it seems the Chiefs now have the worst QB in the division.

I'm not saying that the Chiefs won't go to the playoffs with Manning in the division. They could go to the playoffs every single year that Manning is a Bronco, that's how good I think the Chiefs can be. But the path to a division title just became a lot harder, especially in comparison to what it was before I ate lunch today.

Now the Chiefs need to add some defensive free agents.

No comments:

Post a Comment