Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Todd Haley's Statement

The former Chiefs coach finally released a statement through his agent last night. This is via the Kansas City Star's blog:
“First, I would like to thank Clark Hunt and the Kansas City Chiefs for giving me the opportunity to coach this historic franchise. Growing up in the NFL, watching my Dad help build those great Pittsburgh Steeler teams, I have a profound love for this league. This opportunity has been a dream come true. 
“I would like to sincerely thank my coaches and my players for their commitment and loyalty throughout my time with the Chiefs. 
“I would like to thank all of the great Chiefs fans. My wife, Chrissy, and I would also like to thank the city of Kansas City for welcoming us and our five children and making us feel at home. 
“I am proud to have been a part of continued improvement and the first AFC West title since 2003. This year has been extremely challenging, but despite losing several key players to injury and free agency, we have been able to remain competitive and remain in contention with three games remaining in the season. I wish the coaches and players good luck down the stretch. 
“NFL football is extremely competitive. Being hired and fired is part of this business. I want to thank everyone for their support and I look forward to my next opportunity in this great league."
I'm sure you noticed that there was no mention of Scott Pioli in his statement. Maybe this was just an oversight, or maybe the situation inside the Chiefs was as toxic as most reporters are saying it was and Haley had nothing left to say to his former boss.

Stories had been springing up all year about Haley; he was lazy, he canceled team meetings to go out with friends while in Chicago, he was a rogue within the organization. As tight-lipped as the Chiefs are, it's funny that things like this can spring up, that sources are all of a sudden willing to dish to the media Haley's every move. Rumors of Haley almost being let go after the 10-6 playoff year a season ago, and if he had lost the Colts game this season now don't seem so far fetched. It seems Pioli was just waiting for an opportunity to fire Haley, and he finally got his chance.

But one thing Pioli might not have counted on is the players. Most of the Chiefs players absolutely loved Haley. He was tough on them at first, but they know that they were made better players because of it. Dwayne Bowe became one of the league's top receivers. Jamaal Charles was given a chance because Larry Johnson was let go. All across the board, players became better under the coaching of Haley.

“He’s on another level when it comes to his passion for football," said Jackie Battle. "He has a fire to him and I’ll always remember that he gave me a chance. That’s something that I was waiting for the entire time I’ve been here.”

“We definitely believed in him,” Derrick Johnson added. “We believed in his system and believed in what he was telling us.”

"He'll definitely be missed."

No comments:

Post a Comment