Wednesday, December 15, 2010

One Appendectomy Down, One Playoff Race Left To Go

Matt Cassel returned to practice today, although the Chiefs organization listed it as limited and Cassel described it as "slightly limited". This marks the first time Cassel has practiced since his appendectomy last week. If you're a Chiefs fan, the words "thank God" probably crossed your mind; I know they did in mine. Cassel is having unquestionably the best season of his career. He has thrown 23 touchdowns and just 4 interceptions all year, is the reigning AFC player of the month, and would have been nice to have in San Diego. However, a surprise appendectomy did what no defensive player has been able to do this year: take him out of the game.

When he was asked at his press conference if he was going to play this Sunday, Cassel said he was "day-to-day" and "if I can go out there and I can do everything I want to do without any discomfort, without pain, then I'm going to go out and play." I have some difficulty believing this. Not because I don't think he will play Sunday, because I do think he will play Sunday, but because there can't be any physical pain more unbearable than having to witness your team get blown out 31-0 while you watch on your TV from home. "You never want to see somebody else doing your job. And the mentality is, always, get back as soon as you can." Coach Haley stuck to the "day-to-day" talk in his press conference as well. I believe, even with discomfort, Cassel will play against St. Louis.

Matt Cassel
AP Photo/Orlin Wagner

No comments:

Post a Comment